Your love story is made up of so many uniquely radiant facets: the first time you shared a kiss, the moment you fell in love, the hundreds upon hundreds of sweet mornings and romantic evenings you’ve spent together.
This begs the question, shouldn’t your custom wedding rings showcase all of your story’s unique facets?
Stacking wedding rings is a way of wearing your love story every day. A wedding ring stack will typically be made up of your wedding band for your engagement ring, and whichever other rings you’d like to include, all worn on the same ring finger to paint a dazzling portrait of the life you and your loved one have built together.
If you’re wondering how to stack wedding bands for a look that’s both timeless and uniquely you, find inspiration below with some of our favorite wedding ring stack ideas.
1. Mix Metals
Whether you’ve been going for gold your whole life or loyally opting for silver for as long as you can remember, wearing a mixture of metals can actually complement each material’s unique beauty—and stacking your wedding band with other rings is a great way to do this.
Just like how you can layer necklaces with matching metals, here are a few tips for creating an elegant mix of metals with your wedding ring stack
- Look for pieces that complement your skin’s undertones – Silver, platinum, and white gold pieces look elegant on those with cool-toned skin, while yellow gold and rose gold pieces reflect the undertones in those with warmer complexions.1
- Alternate your metals – To create a beautiful contrast when wedding ring stacking, consider alternating the metals in your stack.
- Avoid clashing shapes – While mixing metals creates an inspired stack, consider keeping your rings a similar shape for a sleek, cohesive look. For instance, we love the way our One Carat Diamond Eternity Band in 18 karat white gold looks paired with the equally delicate Petite Diamond Band Ring in radiant platinum.
2. Blend Styles
You might think that stacking wedding bands may not be for you if your engagement ring or wedding band has a very distinct look to it. After all, won’t the other bands look out of place next to your one-of-a-kind ring?
Fortunately, this isn’t the case. Stacking different styles together creates an inspired look that’s uniquely you. Take a look below at a few different ways you can combine various ring styles to create a stack that’s a wonder to behold:
- Play with different widths – Start with a ring that features a chunkier band, like the Princess Diamond Halo Half Band Ring or the 5 Carat Diamond Eternity Band Ring, both of which offer a bold yet classic look. Then, pair it with a slimmer band that features a sleek stone setting, like the Eternity Baguette Diamond Band Ring. Playing with different widths in this way creates an elegant, textured stack.
- Mix stone settings – Mixing up how the stones are set in your wedding ring stack can create a chic, mismatched look. To achieve this look, try wearing two classic shapes together, like our Petite Oval Cut Diamond Ring with the 2 Carat Diamond Eternity Band Ring. You can also add something a little more unique into the mix, like our one-of-a-kind Multi Shape Diamond Eternity Band.
- Show off less traditional pieces – Don’t be afraid to add some less traditional pieces to your stack. For instance, the art deco glam of our Vintage Diamond Band adds a touch of eclectic cool to your hand, while our Open Band Diamond Ring offers modern elegance when stacked flush with larger stone rings.
3. Tell a Story
Your wedding day is just one part of your beautiful love story, and your wedding band stack should reflect that. This means your stack should include more than just your engagement ring and your wedding band. In fact, you can use your stack as a way to honor all of the beautiful milestones you and your partner have shared.
These milestones can include:
- The arrival of a baby – One of our favorite ways to celebrate the arrival of a little bundle of joy is with a ring. After all, what better way is there to mark such a sweet addition to your family than with a new ring nestled next to your wedding and engagement rings?
We love the thought of selecting a sweet, classic style to honor the occasion, like our Petite Emerald Cut Diamond Ring. Made with high-quality materials, this piece can become a timeless heirloom that you can pass down to your little one once they’re all grown up.
- A wedding anniversary – Another important occasion that can be commemorated in your stack is a milestone anniversary. You can even tie your new piece back to your original wedding band by selecting an eternity version of your original band as a visual representation of the infinite love you share with your partner.
- An important life event – Your wedding band stack doesn’t have to exclusively commemorate moments in your relationship. You can also think of it as a place to celebrate any significant, life-changing event.
Make a lasting memory out of that hard-earned promotion, your 50th birthday celebration, or your well-deserved retirement by adding a beautiful new band to your stack. In these instances, look for a piece that’s uniquely you, like our 3 Diamonds Stacking Ring or our Floating Diamond Ring.
4. Add a Pop of Color
Diamonds are far and away the stone of choice for most engagement rings and wedding bands. In fact, a 2021 Jewelry and Engagement Study from The Knot found that 85% of brides-to-be sported clear diamonds as their engagement ring’s center stone.2
While you can’t go wrong with the classic look of a clear ethically-sourced lab grown diamond, you can also add extra vibrancy to your stack with rings that feature colorful gemstones.
Look for bands embellished with stones like sapphires, rubies, or emeralds. You can even consider choosing a stacking ring that features your birthstone, or the birthstones of your spouse or children (depending on the occasion you’re commemorating).
Can’t decide on just one color? Choose a kaleidoscope-inspired ring to fulfill your technicolor daydreams, like our Multi-Color Sapphire Eternity Band. This delicate stacked ring features radiant white diamonds and glittering pink, orange, blue, and green sapphires set in 18 karat white, black, or rose gold.
Looking for something a little more unique? The Half White Diamond Half Multi-Color Sapphire Eternity Band offers a playful twist on a more traditional look, with white diamonds circling one half of the ring and multicolored sapphires circling the other half.
When adding colorful rings like these into your wedding band stack, you have a few different options for placement:
- Set the colored stone ring between your engagement ring and your wedding band for a layered look
- Stack your wedding band and engagement ring together, then place the colored stone ring either above or below for a visual contrast
- Pair several slim, colored-stone bands with a slim diamond band for a sophisticated rainbow effect
5. Get Sentimental
The rings in your wedding band stack symbolize some of the most special moments in your life, like the moment you said yes to your beloved’s proposal, and the moment you exchanged vows in front of all your loved ones. However, you can add even more symbolism to your stack by leaving room for pieces that hold sentimental value, even if they’re not brand new.
Maybe it’s an heirloom ring passed down from your mother or grandmother that reminds you of the cherished times you’ve spent with them. Maybe it’s the matching friendship ring that you and your best friend purchased for each other on your 25th birthday. Maybe it’s something else altogether, like a one-of-a-kind ring you picked up while studying abroad in college or a piece gifted to you from your niece.
Whatever sweet memory your stacked ring marks, you can always carry with you in your wedding band stack. Simply pair your engagement ring and wedding band together, then add your sentimental ring either above or below. Every time you look down at your hand, you’ll be reminded of all the love stories in your life—both big and small.
Build a Wedding Band Stack That’s Uniquely You with Noémie
At Noémie, we think of jewelry as a journey—a way of marking and celebrating all of life’s most special moments and creating heirlooms for generations to come.
That’s why our Wedding Ring Collection offers something for everyone and every occasion, with handcrafted pieces made exclusively with high-quality materials—like solid 18 karat gold and certified VS clarity and F-G color diamonds—and a variety of styles and designs.
Let us help you find the pieces that will tell your unique love story and last a lifetime. Visit us at Noémie to explore our collections today.
- MasterClass. How to Mix Metal Jewelry. https://www.masterclass.com/articles/how-to-mix-metal-jewelry
- The Knot. The Most Popular Engagement Ring Styles Right Now, According to Our Data. https://www.theknot.com/content/the-knot-engagement-ring-stats#most-popular-engagement-ring-center